Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, October 12, 2008

    The Best Bacon and Egg Pie

    I always thought I have made a pretty good Bacon and Egg Pie, but one of our local sandwich shops (Naturals Bake and Coffee on Quay Street) makes a boomer.
    I think he adds his grated cheese at the last minute. So moist and flavoursome.

    I was also inspired by a New Zealand TV Chef, Richard Till of “Kiwi Kitchen” fame, on his programme, he discovered an older gentleman domiciled in Napier, who is apparently very famous in his locale for his Bacon and Egg Pie. This gentleman was also famous for his pastry.
    I used shop bought but I am going to give his a go on another occasion.

    So I have pinched a couple of ideas and I have to say it was an excellent pie
    I normally lightly beat the eggs but this time following their lead I just broke the yolks up moving the fork around.
    I think the secret is to use nice streaky bacon...leave fat on
    I have always used cheese, but this time I placed the grated cheese first… Helps to make a seal on the bottom. By the way the cheese is not the hero, it is just that little bit extra.

    I cut the bacon into 2 cm chunks and fried it for a couple of minutes to get the fat rendering.
    This makes the pie filling very moist and yummy.
    I added some chopped spring onion.
    Adds colour and flavour.

    Shop bought Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
    Eggs
    3 rashers per person streaky bacon cut into 2 cm chunks
    Grated cheese
    Spring Onions sliced
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

    Spring onions finely chopped
    Lightly fry bacon chunks don’t drain
    So line a greased pie dish with puff pastry.
    Sprinkle on grated cheese

    Cover with bacon
    Break in enough eggs this size pie (14 cm/5") took 2 ½ large eggs
    Break them up moving the yolk with a fork
    Season with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Add extra bacon on top
    Sprinkle on chopped spring onions
    Pop on the pastry lid and crimp the edges.
    Brush with egg wash for the golden look.

    Pre heat oven to 210C
    Cook for 5 minutes then reduce to 200C
    Cook for a further 20 minutes

    The pie should be golden brown and crisp. Here it is cooling on the window sill.
    The filling beautiful and moist and you will not be able to get enough of it.
    The pastry just so flaky wonderful
    I made this pie for Dale to take on his fishing trip.
    Size 20cm/8” This took 8 eggs.

    9 comments:

    Sara said...

    that looks gorgeous and sounds delicious!

    Barbara said...

    Stunning. Enjoy Noosa. Sorry we won't get to see you down here.

    So So Simple said...

    Thanks ladies just returned from Noosa and I will have to make this tomorrow. Lusting after a good pie.

    Anonymous said...

    The inside of that bacon and egg pie looks perfect! So many layers of savory flavor! I'd like to share your recipe with our readers :). Please let me know if you're interested!

    Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
    sophie@keyingredient.com

    Les T said...

    I made Bacon and egg pies like
    this when I was about 30 Years old.I haven't had any for about 35 years. After looking at your recipe
    my mouth is really watering. It sure looks Scrumptuous,and Im sure
    the Taste is superb

    Les T

    chef mummy said...

    Thank you so much for this recipe, his is the 3rd one for egg & bacon pie I have tried {something my husband remembered his grandparents making him when he was a boy} Utterly delicious, this is the one I will make in the future, my 4 year old thought it was very very yummy too!

    So So Simple said...

    Chef Mummy Goad you enjoyed it

    Unknown said...

    Where the recipe for the one made in the aluminum pan

    So So Simple said...

    Same recipe just a bigger version. Up your ingredients